Horoscope Matching or Kundli matching is very deep and intensely rooted in Hindu society. Before entering in to marriage relationship an astrologer is referred to for his analysis of the horoscopes (match making) of boy and the girl. It is done to ensure a harmonious, balanced and healthy married relationship.
If we compare the success rate of marriages now a days as compared to olden times say for example during the last 50 or 100 years or more especially in Hindu society, we will find out that the percentage is decreasing drastically. Some would attribute this to increasing ego problems and a feeling of independence in human beings especially women. During ancient time, our ancestors gave special attention towards the match-making criterion (suggested in our Ancient Vedic Astrology books) and always preferred to consult a good astrologer about married life of the prospective couple. Gradually, many people started neglecting the given principles and many young people started marrying their lovers without getting their charts checked from a good astrologer. The result of this is unsuccessful marriages and marital discord. Now again, astrological consciousness about match-making is increasing day by day. More and more people are consulting good astrologers for match-making and usually it is done by referring to Melapak Chart given in any Panchang. This Melapak Chart is calculated on the basis of eight factors. These eight factors are known as 'Kuta' and considered in order to judge the stability of married life for the couple. These factors are explained in detail below:
1. Varan: Varna gives contribution of one point out of thirty-six points in total. Varna suggests the degree of spiritual development of both male and female and complete points will be granted if they both belong to same kind of spiritual development. A Girl belonging to a higher Varan should not be mated to a boy of a lesser Varan. Both belonging to the same grade or degree while determining the Varan should be allowed.
2. Vasya: Vasya gives contribution of two points out of thirty-six points in total. Vasya suggests the degree of magnetic control and amenability the wife or husband would be able to exercise on the other. This is calculated as per Moon sign system mentioned in Vedic Astrology. Complete points will be granted if both of their Moon signs will be friendly to each other.
3. Tara: Tara gives contribution of three points out of thirty six points in total. Tara suggests the degree of auspiciousness and in- auspiciousness of both male and female for each other.
4. Yoni: Yoni gives contribution of four points out of thirty six points in total. Yoni means sex and this aspect is implied sexual compatibility that has an important role in laying down the foundation for marital happiness.
5. Grah Maitri: Grah Maitri gives contribution of five points out of thirty-six points in total. Grah Maitri suggests the normal behavior, temperamental compatibility and matching of views and interests of both male and female with each other. Grah Maitri is calculated on the basis of lord of sign in which Moon is posited.
6. Gan: Gan gives contribution of six points out of thirty-six points in total. Gan has a bearing on the temperament and character of the couple conce